What We Do
OBVC educates, promotes and supports Black Canadians’ participation in Canada’s political process at all levels (government, agencies, boards and commissions) and elected office. Our activities include training, resources, workshops, and events.
OBVC’s robust programs provide a community that encourages Black men and women to participate and to run for office.
Unique among other traditional organizations that recruit candidates, our goal is to provide information to expand the community of Black men and women considering public office and encourage civic engagement in the Black community.
HOW WE DO THIS:
Operation Black Vote Canada promotes the election of Black Canadians by:
- Working with all political parties to increase the nominations of Black Canadians candidates in winnable ridings.
- Conducting outreach with young Black Canadians to inspire and engage them in politics and the political process
- Organizing training, summits and information sessions about the political process.
- Raising awareness about the impact of Black Canadian under-representation within the Black Canadian community and political parties
- Celebrating Black Canadians in politics
- Building coalitions and partnerships with groups who share similar ideals
- Encouraging the appointment of Black Canadians to the municipal, federal and provincial civil service
- Communicating and implementing Operation Black Vote Canada’s goals and activities through innovative programs, Operation Black Vote Canada website, media releases, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook activity, and by hosting major events.
- Monitoring issues affecting the community’s political participation and make recommendations to both the community and government