By Neil Armstrong | Published in Angles Covered | Published on September 22, 2018
With just over a month before municipal elections in Ontario several Jamaican candidates are campaigning to become the councillor, regional councillor or school board trustee of their cities.
Carleen Blissett is running to be councillor of Whitby’s East Ward 4, Jermaine Chambers for Brampton’s Wards 2 and 6, Allan Jones for regional councillor of Wards 2 and 6 in the Region of Peel, and Kathy McDonald, the incumbent Peel District School Board trustee for Wards 3 and 4 who wants to retain her position.
The Ontario municipal elections will be held on October 22.
By Rosshane Vignarajah, Opinions by Moe Ladha, Velma Morgan, Jaskaran Singh Sandhu | Published by The Star | Published On Mon., May 7, 2018
Decisions are made by those who show up, and it is our collective responsibility to ensure that barriers for showing up are removed.
We are a coalition of community animators who find ourselves asking the fundamental question all too often — why is civic engagement not accessible to everyone?
This week, we released a special video as part of a larger “Get Out The Full Vote” (GOTFV) campaign ahead of this year’s provincial and municipal elections in Ontario. Our campaign, called #WeVote, will complement the work members of our coalition have been engaged in already, such as The Canadian-Muslim Vote’s “2018 GOTV” campaign, Operation Black Vote Canada’s recent Black Community Provincial Leaders Debate, the World Sikh Organization’s advocacy training through the Sikh Youth Leadership Institute, and the Tamils in Public Service’s ongoing focus on advocating for women of colour in politics and government.
Boris Shaoying Kou, 84
- last seen on Jan. 28, at 10:51 a.m., in the Sheppard Ave E & Shaughnessy Blvd area
- described as 5'7", 125 lbs., short white hair
- wearing a green/grey jacket, beige pants, black shoes
- driving a 2018 white Subaru LIC: CEVP 928
Ziva Duncan, 12
- last seen on Jan. 28, at 10 a.m., Lawrence Ave E & Galloway Rd
- shoulder length braided hair, silver beads, braces
- last seen wearing a light brown winter coat w/ hood, dark blue sweater, blue jeans, brown boots
Monday's deadline is fast approaching. Don't miss this opportunity to apply to the 1834 Fellowship! The free public policy program is an opportunity for Black Canadians between 18-25 to learn from experts and be mentored by leaders. To apply, visit http://www.obvc.ca/1834fellowship
Vinroy Williams, 45
-last seen on January 20, at 5 p.m, in the Keele St and Finch Ave area
- described as 5'6", 150 lbs, thin build, short dark hair and brown eyes
- last see wearing a blue jacket, white hat, black shoes and blue jeans